Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Walk on a Warm Day

It certainly felt like Spring today. I decided to take the boys (Hoover and Gryff) with me while I walked the fences. Between the wind and the deer there were a lot of rails down and they don't get back in place on their own. I actually like walking the fences. I get to see things from a different point of view. As long as I stopped to throw the ball for Gryff every few minutes everyone was happy.

I saw some lichen (I'm guessing) growing on a rail. I had never seen this bright red before.





Then I saw these mushroom like growth on an old stump. They remind me of turkey feathers.



After we had walked all the fences and Gryff had decided that he was so warm he had to lay in a puddle, we walked around the pond to see if any fish were swimming about. We didn't see any fish but I did see a sad sight. I'm pretty sure that Jeremiah, the big, big frog passed away over the Winter. He was the loudest frog on the pond. Sometimes he would wander to the pool and I would fish him out and carry him back to the pond. I'm not sure how frog reproduction works but I don't think he got to fertilize any eggs this season. Hopefully some of his offspring are around. I don't even really know that he is a he. But I did look forward to seeing him every year.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, is that Jeremiah swimming in the pond? If so, he is really big! Those mushrooms are very unusual. I have never seen any that close together or the ones that are red. Thank you for following my blog! I love it when I get a new follower! It is so exciting!

    I love your dogs name. I read he is named "gryffindor"! I love Harry Potter so much! My friend and I know every single hing about anything related to Hary Potter. Or at least most things!

    Bye and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete