Sunday, February 15, 2009

A little visitor at the barn

My first day back from Florida I went down to the barn and I should have know right away that something wasn't right. All the goats were all standing outside, nervous. Inside the goat stall Cleo (emu) and both the peacocks were making odd noises. My first thought was that it was strange for Cleo and the peacocks to be in the stall together. I went inside the barn and opened the inner door and found a little possum (opossum?) cowering in the corner.



I was startled and slammed the door. Then I realized that the poor little thing must be terrified having a giant emu threatening it. Of course Cleo was doing "her job", protecting everyone. I have no idea what the peacocks were doing. I've never seen them act like they were defending the barnyard.



I needed to get the possum out of the barn but I didn't want to be the one to do it. I'm not proud of my fear of dealing with this little guy. I believe if I had taken a moment to think about it I would have figured out how to get it out myself, and I would have had the presence of mind to AT LEAST get a picture of it in the stall. So I'm embarrassed to say that I called my husband and he got the critter out of the barn. Then it occurred to me that I wanted to get a picture. So all of these pictures are of him out in the snow (oh, I miss all that snow!)

1 comment:

  1. What a cutie! But I would have been a little squeamish too.

    ReplyDelete